- Via Afrika has its roots in two publishing companies: Via Afrika, established in 1949 and Nasou, established in 1963. Via Afrika publishes a comprehensive range of educational materials for schools, TVET Colleges and Adult Education and Training in South Africa and Botswana. The company also has publishing experience in Namibia, Mozambique, and Zambia. These publications include textbooks, readers, literature titles, atlases, study guides, wall charts and various teacher support materials for all grades, Adult Education and Training and TVET college levels.
- Via Afrika has published over 1 100 school textbooks for the current South African CAPS Curriculum. These books are published as printed editions and most are also in two ebook formats (EPUB for tablet computers and Flipbook for PC). Key to the development of these ebooks was the inclusion of multimedia and interactive enhancements that do not require internet connectivity for use. Via Afrika has also developed a bouquet of educational apps that are available for free or with a freemium model on a variety of app stores.
- In response to the need for teacher professional development in the field of digital education, we have another initiative, the Via Afrika Digital Education Academy. The Digital Education Academy offers 81 digital education sessions to teachers at a fee. Training takes place in face-to-face sessions, or through our state-of-the-art online learning environment. We also offer a course in Change Management for schools, to prepare them for digital education. Change Management courses are only offered face-to-face.
- The Via Afrika Digital Education Academy is in partnership with the Department of Basic Education and courses are endorsed by the South African Council for Educators (SACE) for the allocation of five Professional Development (PD) points per two-hour training session. Teachers need to achieve 150 PD points over a three year cycle to remain registered as teachers.
- Via Afrika partners with authors who are leading educationalists, including teachers, academics and Department of Education officials. This partnership enables Via Afrika to develop learning materials that make a difference. Via Afrika is also highly selective in the quality of freelancers and other service providers it contracts to add value to authors’ manuscripts.
Remaining true to its roots, Via Afrika outsources the printing, warehousing and distribution of all its materials to South African businesses only.
- Action, Afritech, Bateleur Books (selected
- books), Collegium, Future, Juta/Gariep, Nasou,
- Stimela, Van Schaik (literature), Via Afrika
The following categories / languages can be published:
- ABET - English
- Education - English
- TVET - English
The following formats can be published:
- Street Address:
11th floor, 40 Heerengracht,
Province: Western Cape
- Postal Address:
PO Box 5197,